An Intrauterine system (IUD) is a small t-shaped device which is inserted into the uterus by a trained doctor or nurse. It releases copper to stop you from getting pregnant and can be effective for 5-10 years. The copper coil is different from the Mirena coil because it is non-hormone based.
- Once fitted, the IUD works straight away and provides protection for 5-10 years dependant on device.
- The copper IUD is suitable for most women.
- The copper IUD does not interact with other medicines and is safe to use whilst breast-feeding.
- It is possible to get pregnant as soon as the IUD is removed.
- The copper IUD does not protect against sexually transmitted infection, so you may still need to use condoms.
- Periods may become heavier, longer and more painful after insertion of the copper coil, however, this should calm down in the first few months.
- It is possible to get an infection after the copper IUD has been fitted which could spread to the pelvis if untreated.
- Copper Coil Insertion (includes coil) - £214
- Coil Removal - £60
Contact Midland Health
Would you like to hear more? Please submit any queries or feedback via our online form and a member of the team will respond within 24 hours.
Looking to book a consultation? Leave a telephone number and a Midland Health representative will get back to you with all the details you need to get the ball rolling! We’re excited for you to see the full range of services we have to offer.