A liver function test measures levels of protein, enzymes and bilirubin in the blood. This can be useful to monitor liver related illness and check for signs of undiagnosed inflammation. A liver blood test will measure 4 main components;
- Alanine aminotransferase (ALT) and aspartate aminotransferase (AST) – Enzymes which leak into the bloodstream when the liver is damaged. Levels of ALT and AST are a good indicator of liver inflammation. High levels are often found in those with a diagnosis of Hepatitis.
- Alkaline phosphatase (ALP) and y-Glutamyltransferase (GGT) – Enzymes found in the bile ducts of the liver. High levels of ALP or GGT may indicate an obstruction symptomatic of cholestatic liver disease. Elevated GGT levels are also indicative of non-alcohol related fatty liver disease (NAFLD). GGT may be raised in chronically high levels of alcohol consumption.
- Bilirubin – The protein found in red blood cells, broken down by the liver. High levels of bilirubin are found for those with Jaundice.
- Albumin – The protein found in the blood which helps to maintain tissue growth and repair. Albumin decreases when the liver is damaged and or there is malnutrition.
If you are worried about the function of your liver or have previously been diagnosed with any liver-related illness, book in with a Midland Health GP to diagnose or monitor your way back to good health.
Our experienced GPs can arrange further tests if required such as liver ultrasound scans and biopsies.
- Liver Function Blood Tests - £44
- Phlebotomy Appointment - £35
- Standard GP Consultation (30 min) - £120
- Express GP Consultation (15 min) - £60
Book Your Appointment Today
Our innovative, personalised Private GP Service is only a click away. We’re here for you and your whole family with our easy pay-as-you-go-service
Book Your Appointment Now
Contact Midland Health
Would you like to hear more? Please submit any queries or feedback via our online form and a member of the team will respond within 24 hours.
Looking to book a consultation? Leave a telephone number and a Midland Health representative will get back to you with all the details you need to get the ball rolling! We’re excited for you to see the full range of services we have to offer.