An Intrauterine system (IUS) is a small t-shaped device which is inserted into the uterus by a trained doctor or nurse. The Mirena Coil is a progesterone releasing IUS which has been shown to be 99% effective in preventing pregnancy. Feel free to book a consultation to discuss any concerns with a Midland Health GP as we’re always on hand to advise and help you make the right decision for you.
- The Mirena coil works for 5 years once inserted.
- Periods will be come lighter, less painful or may stop completely within the first year of use.
- It is safe to use the Mirena coil if you are breastfeeding and it does not interact with other medicines.
- A progesterone-releasing IUS is a good option for women who cannot tolerate oestrogen-based options.
- It is possible to get pregnant as soon as the Mirena coil is removed.
- Some women may experience side-effects such as headaches, breast tenderness, and acne after having the Mirena coil fitted.
- Some women may experience changes in mood or libido with the Mirena coil, but this is usually very mild.
- An IUS fitting can lead to infection which could spread to the pelvis if left untreated.
- There is an increased risk of fluid-filled cysts forming on the ovaries as an uncommon side-effect of the Mirena coil.
- The Mirena coil does not protect against sexually transmitted infection, so condoms may still be needed.
- Mirena Coil Insertion (includes Mirena) - £300
- Coil Removal - £60
Contact Midland Health
Would you like to hear more? Please submit any queries or feedback via our online form and a member of the team will respond within 24 hours.
Looking to book a consultation? Leave a telephone number and a Midland Health representative will get back to you with all the details you need to get the ball rolling! We’re excited for you to see the full range of services we have to offer.